Portage County UW-Extension offers soil testing for lawns and gardens.
Why, When & How?
What you get:
- Analysis of current nutrient content of your soil (P,K).
- Current soil pH.
- Recommendation of type and amount of fertilizer to add.
- Allow 2 – 3 weeks for return of results.
What we need:
- A total of 2 cups of air dry soil.
- Samples should contain soil from surface to 6 inches deep.
- Take soil from 3 to 5 places in area to be tested, mix together; submit 2 cups of mixture in a clean plastic bag.
When to sample:
- Can be done any time soil is not frozen.
- Best done before you apply fertilizer.
What is the cost?
- The standard Lawn or Garden test are $16 per sample when submitted to the Portage County UW-Extension Office. Additional tests are available and cost varies depending upon type of sample testing to be completed.
- Payment in cash or by check due at time of submission (checks payable to Portage County Treasurer). Results usually received within two weeks of submission.